Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
Applications will be considered from students who meet all of the following requirements:
- are Australian citizens or have Australian residency status
- are registered VCE or International Baccalaureate (IB) students attending a secondary school situated in Victoria
- propose to accept a full-time undergraduate place at a Victorian university
- have submitted online scholarship applications by midnight August 10, 2018. No late applications will be accepted.
- have had their applications endorsed by their school principals via our online application system by midnight August 10, 2018. Note that a maximum of 3 applicants from any given school will be considered. No late endorsements will be accepted.
- will be under the age of 21 as of January 1 in the year they commence their degrees
- have been resident in regional or rural Victoria for at least three years
- DO NOT live at a home address defined as “Major Cities of Australia (RA1)” as classified by the Australian Standard Geographical Classification for Remoteness Areas. To determine the Remoteness Area of your home address, please enter it on the DoctorConnect website.
Or, if the DoctorConnect map is offline, please use the zoom tool at the top left of this Google map to locate your own home. If the street address of your home is in an area shaded red, then you are NOT eligible for an MSRF scholarship.
Scholarship Terms and Conditions
Students who are offered Scholarships will be required to sign a Scholarship Agreement indicating their acceptance of the offer and the terms and conditions.
The continuation of each Scholarship will be subject to the awardee:
- not accepting any other scholarships in excess of $5,000 per annum without approval of the MSRF board
- progressing successfully through their chosen undergraduate course
- remaining a full-time enrolled student at the University at which the scholarship was granted, unless there are exceptional circumstances which prevent the student from studying full-time, or there is a need to relocate to another Victorian university
- promptly advising MSRF that the initial understanding that the awardee would intend to return to regional or rural Victoria upon completion of a university course has changed, due to altered circumstances
Selection of scholarship recipients will be managed by the MSRF Scholarship Selection Panel and approved by the MSRF Board.
Applications will be individually assessed, and may be shortlisted for interview. Interviews form part of the application process. All applications and interviews will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The MSRF Scholarship Selection Panel and MSRF Board will consider the following in selecting scholarship recipients:
- Demonstrated leadership in their local community (e.g. school leadership; participation or volunteering in in community organisations, events, sporting clubs; sharing family responsibilities; extra-curricular roles at school etc.)
- Managing and/or overcoming personal disadvantage i.e. financial disadvantage, cultural challenges, social challenges, remoteness, disability, significant loss, trauma or other hardship.
- Commitment to learning and academic ability.
- Demonstrated interest and passion for living in rural/regional Victoria and an intent to return to rural/regional Victoria.
- The level of likely impact on their life and rural/regional Victoria if awarded the scholarship
- References confirming examples of demonstrated leadership, academic ability and potential, experience of hardship and how they have handled personal challenges.
Applicants will be notified by email of the outcome of their applications in November, 2018.